The Proof House: 48-50 Commercial Road, London E1 1LP
Worshipful Company of Gunmakers
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7481 2695
The Worshipful Company of Gunmakers was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1637 to promote and regulate gunmaking, a role it still fulfils today.
Governed by the Master, Wardens and Court of Assistants. Activities encompass four broad areas of operation: Regulatory, Charitable, Social and Civic.

The Clerk

Location

Since 1675, the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers has been located at its present location, just outside Aldgate and the old walls of the City of London. For directions visit our Contact page.

Regulatory

The Company operates the Proof House, which has statutory powers to test and regulate the safety of firearms.

Charitable

Members of the Livery serve as trustees of the Gunmakers Company Charitable Trust, which provides assistance for training gunmakers and advancement of the art and technology of gunmaking and related trades.

Social

The Company organises formal dinners and other activities and events for its liverymen (which includes women).

Civic

The Livery participates in the governance of the City of London, including the election of the Sheriffs and the Lord Mayor.

Proof

No gun can be legally sold in the United Kingdom without having undergone proof.

Safety

The Proof House is called in to investigate accidents caused by firearms malfunction.

De-activation

The Proof House ensures and certifies that guns wanted for display purposes, rather than use, have been made permanently unusable in the manner required by law.